Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Fish at the Lemon Tree Grocer...or, Have You Ever Tried Escolar?


This next blog is taken from Chuck and Karen Keenley's gracious email they sent to us. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this; it truly means a lot not only to the people mentioned, yet the entire Lemon Tree staff.


Shoppers: next time you are in the store, go back to the meat/fish counter and ask for "escolar". Proving I am no know-it-all, the first time I heard the word I thought Mike and John, the 2 resident butchers, were mistaken...they must mean "escarole", a form of lettuce I do know something about having worked in a produce department about a 100 years ago.

No, they assured me, not "escarole" but "escolar", a variety of fish caught in the Pacific near Hawaii. Mike, who has been "right on" with his recommendations, told me to keep it simple (he graciously omitted the last word of that saying)- coat it with olive oil and grill it for 10 minutes. Hmm...I don't think I can mess that up!

Forward to 5:30 Saturday afternoon. I am sitting on my patio for the 1st time in who-knows-how-long, downing a couple of my favorite micro-brews, enjoying Karen's inspiration, collard greens with bacon, onion and a dash of vinegar, and savoring this wonderful fish that is moist and has a buttery flavor!

What to try next- it is a tossup between the marlin, the mahi mahi, and the escarole! We are not big meat eaters, but I can only imagine how good the steaks and chops are!

Shaun and Tim- thanks for bringing such great quality to Downers Grove!

Chuck and Karen Keenley

No comments:

Post a Comment